Boycott for Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?
Several British showbiz stars have refused to participate in the filming of the TV game "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" because its host Jeremy Clarkson made rude remarks about Prince Harry's wife Meghan Markle. The Daily Mirror newspaper has reported this, citing sources.
According to them, at least three people have turned down an invitation to come on the 62-year-old Clarkson's programme, which airs on ITV. As a result, filming for new episodes of the TV game show in Manchester has been postponed. Clarkson has been hosting the programme since 2018.
On December 17 last year, Jeremy Clarkson, who also hosts the TV show Top Gear, wrote in his column in The Sun newspaper that he hated Markle "on a cellular level" and wished she could be led naked through the streets of every British town, with people shouting "shame" at her. The publication of the article caused an uproar, with the independent British press standards regulator receiving a record 17,500 complaints about Clarkson in three days.
It's worth noting that Amazon will reportedly stop working with him after next year, when his current deal ends.
The presenter said he sent an email to Sussex to apologise and added: "I'm really sorry. I'm the one raising my hands."
Clarkson then said: "We've all been there. The very moment we realise we've messed it up. Your head is pounding. And you feel sick. I couldn't believe what I was reading."
He said he was sorry for the incident, promised to be more careful in future, asked the publication to take the article off its website, and apologised to Markle. Sky News later reported, citing the press office of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, that Prince Harry and Markle refused to accept the apology.