Security Alert Stops Kay
Peter Kay’s stand-up show at the Utilita Arena Birmingham came to an abrupt halt on Friday night after the comedian was taken off stage less than an hour into his performance.
Kay had begun the May 1 show at 8pm as scheduled, but around 45 minutes later a member of the production team appeared on stage and informed the audience that the performance would not continue. Attendees were then asked to leave the venue, with footage shared on X showing thousands of people making their way out of the arena.
Birmingham Police later said the arena was evacuated as a precaution after a potentially suspicious bag was discovered inside the venue. In an update shared on X, officers confirmed that a 19-year-old man had been detained while searches were carried out at the site.
Before the police update was issued, concern had already spread online as audience members described the show being stopped without advance warning. Several people at the venue said they were instructed to leave immediately, although others later reported that the evacuation was carried out safely and quickly.
The disruption came during Kay’s major national tour, which has marked one of British comedy’s most high-profile live returns. The Bolton-born performer remains closely associated with landmark TV projects including Phoenix Nights, developed with figures such as Dave Spikey, Neil Fitzmaurice and Paddy McGuinness, as well as Car Share, his acclaimed collaboration with Sian Gibson.
The current run is also tied to a charitable effort, with profits from the tour set to be donated to 12 cancer charities. Kay is currently scheduled to return to the Utilita Arena Birmingham for another performance on Saturday, May 2.
Further shows are due to continue through the end of July, with dates listed for Belfast, Liverpool, Sheffield and Leeds. Police had not issued any further update at the time of the original report.


